Sunday 29 June 2008

Provence - Apt and Roussillon

Sunday was the day we would be spending around the Luberon area of Provence, made famous by the Peter Mayle books like A Year in Provence, which I read before leaving for our holiday (apparently he also wrote Where did I Come From).

We had to drive through Apt and weren't anticipating stopping, but there was a big market open on the outskirts so we stopped to check it out - I had decided I needed a wine carafe and Linda was just happy to have found some markets. Ultimately Linda found something to buy while I left empty handed (don't worry, it all ends well).

We then moved on to Roussillon, which is ochre coloured from the red pigment found in the clay around the town. Linda and I agreed that Roussillon was our kind of French provincial town, nice and small, up on a hilltop, and touristy enough to keep us amused.

We got ourselves some gelato (Linda had some lavender flavoured gelato, which was surprisingly good) and wandered around, eventually leaving town with a small jug glazed red with the local pigments.

All my photos from Roussillon are here.

No comments: